This delicate vegan blueberry bread, with its soft banana edge and crumbly finish, easily seizes the spotlight without any added sugar, eggs, or usual suspects. It’s hard to scoff at simplicity when this morning treat is bursting with full, fruity flavors followed by a tease of cinnamon.
Banana Bread & Muffins
- 4 ripe bananas (conventional is fine given the hard exterior)
- 4 flax eggs (4 tablespoons ground flax seed, 3/4 cup warm filtered water)
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted almond, peanut butter or tahini
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons organic ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (alternatively mix 1/4 teaspoon baking soda with 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar to substitute).
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 cup frozen organic blueberries
Crumb topping (optional):
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 2 tablespoons organic walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
To make the flax eggs, stir together the ground flax seed and warm water in a small bowl, then let the mixture sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. After the allotted time has passed, mix the ingredients together, noticing how the egg replacement has thickened.
Line a bread pan with parchment paper or use a prepared paper pan.
In a food processor, blend the bananas, flax eggs, nut butter and vanilla until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until fully combined. Fold in the frozen blueberries, then transfer the dough into the bread pan, smoothing the top for even distribution.
Optionally, mix the crumb topping together in a separate bowl and sprinkle across the top of the dough. Increase the amount of crumb topping depending on preference.
To make bread, bake for 50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let the bread cool for at least 30 minutes before removing it (with the parchment still attached) out of the pan. Peel back the parchment and allow the bread to completely cool.
Individual slices of bread can be frozen and later thawed for convenience.