This double chocolate loaf, sweetened by ripe bananas and packed with raw cacao chips, serves as a filling breakfast or deeply satisfying afternoon snack. Boasting an exotic array of antioxidants and essential minerals, each bite is guaranteed to elevate your mood and boost your immunity. Chocolate as medicine? Sounds about right to me.
Double Cacao Banana Bread:
- 4 ripe bananas, conventional is fine given the hard exterior
- 3 flax eggs organic (3 tablespoons ground flax seed, 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon warm filtered water)
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted almond butter, peanut butter, or tahini
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup organic almond flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill)
- 5 tablespoons organic coconut flour
- 1/2 cup organic 100% raw cacao powder (such as Navitas)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (or mix 1/8 teaspoon baking soda with 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar to substitute).
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 3/4 cup 100% raw cacao chocolate baking chips (such as Pascha)
- Optional: raw cacao nibs for sprinkling on top
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
To make the flax eggs, stir together the ground flax seed and warm water in a small bowl, then let the mixture sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. After the allotted time has passed, mix the ingredients together, noticing how the egg replacement has thickened.
Blend the bananas, flax egg mixture, nut/seed butter and vanilla extract in a Cuisinart until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond and coconut flour, raw cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the dry mixture to the Cuisinart and mix until fully integrated. Fold in the raw cacao chocolate chips and pour the batter evenly into the bread pan. Sprinkle raw cacao nibs on top.
Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes before slicing. Once completely cooled, slice generous pieces and freeze in individual bags.