This fragrant dal will transport you to a brighter, warmer world within minutes. A vibrant union of sweet potato chunks and exotic spices frame split red lentils steeped in a rich vegetable stock. A few enlightened spoonfuls will awaken your mind and breathe life into any dreary day.
Sweet Potato Dal:
- 1-2 tablespoons Lucini extra virgin olive oil (100% pure Italian olives with no canola or vegetable additives)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet potato or garnet yam, peeled and finely diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon ground corinader
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup dried red split lentils
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock (I recommend Engine 2 Plant Strong vegetable stock: organic, low-sodium, and no additives)
- Himalayan pink or Celtic sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the sweet potato and sauté for an additional 5 minutes. Add the coriander, caraway seeds, turmeric, and ginger and stir until coated.
Add the lentils and vegetable stock. Raise the heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Cook uncovered until the lentils and potatoes are soft, about 30-35 minutes.
Remove the dal from heat and use a whisk or fork to further break down and thicken the mixture. Depending on texture preference, add another 1/2 cup vegetable stock and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes if too thick.
Season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
Plate with short-grain brown rice and serve hot.