A masterpiece of complex flavors, this roasted eggplant spread showcases subtle notes of toasted sesame and smoky paprika, followed by a snap of fresh lemon and pungent persistence of minced garlic. The occasional juicy pop of a bursting pomegranate seed lingers momentarily on the palate, enhanced by thick slices of refreshing cucumber, ideal for scooping.
- 1-2 organic eggplants (depending on preferred strength of taste)
- Lucini extra virgin olive oil (100% pure Italian olives with no canola or vegetable additives)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh tahini (see below)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Organic ground paprika, to taste
- 1/4 cup organic fresh pomegranate seeds, extra for topping
- 1 organic cucumber, cut into thick slices
- 1/4 cup organic sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Lucini extra virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Wash and dry the eggplant. Coat with olive oil and place on a glass baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until charred.
While the eggplant is cooling, prepare the tahini, mixing the ingredients together in a small food processor until smooth.
Once the eggplant has cooled completely, peel the vegetable, remove any large clumps of seeds if possible, and discard the skin. Place the eggplant in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the fresh tahini, as well as the lemon juice, garlic, salt, and paprika and mix thoroughly. Fold the pomegranate seeds into the spread, and top with additional seeds.
Plate with cucumbers.