This presentation of heirloom tomatoes and avocado roses is like a garden reborn on the plate – an abundant melange of simple pleasures and raw sensations.
- 4-5 organic heirloom tomatoes
- Several handfuls of organic cherry tomatoes
- 2 avocados (conventional are fine, given their hard exterior)
- A chiffonade of fresh, organic basil (thin ribbons)
- Lucini extra virgin olive oil (100% pure Italian olives with no canola or vegetable additives)
- Celtic sea salt
- Organic black peppercorn
Slice the heirloom and cherry tomatoes.
Slice the avocados in half and remove the skin and pit. Working with one of the halves (pit-side down) thinly slice the avocado, careful to keep the overall shape intact. Begin to elongate the slices, sliding your hands in opposite directions and pressing gently on each side. Once the avocado is completely elongated, choose one end and start to carefully roll it towards the opposite end, which ultimately creates a “petal” look. I highly recommend watching a few videos online to perfect your technique.
Arrange the tomatoes and avocado on a plate. Sprinkle with basil, salt, pepper and a dash of olive oil.