I can almost taste the sweetness of summertime with this refreshing plate of delicate greens. Elegant and effortless to make, the salad combines irresistibly crisp matchstick apples with sun-kissed avocado and toasted walnuts. Even the affront of apple cider vinegar is tamed by a small spoonful of raw honey for a dressing worthy of a forest feast.
Apple Walnut Salad:
- Several handfuls of fresh organic arugula
- 1/2 organic avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 organic green apple, cored and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup organic raw walnuts
Dressing (makes approximately 1 cup):
- 1/4 cup organic raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- 2 tablespoons fresh organic lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Lucini extra virgin olive oil (100% pure Italian olives with no canola or vegetable additives)
- 2 teaspoons raw honey (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon grained dijon mustard (no additives)
- Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
[Optional technique to ease digestion]: Place the walnuts in a large bowl and cover completely with filtered water. Add a dash of salt and let sit overnight, or for 12 hours. Drain and rinse the nuts. Place the nuts in a dehydrator and heat gently at 105 degrees for an additional 12 hours, or until the nuts are completely dry.
Alternatively, roast the nuts at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until toasted. Set aside to cool.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
In a separate bowl, combine the arugula, avocado, apple, and walnuts. Toss with the preferred amount of dressing. Serve immediately.