Layer by layer, this raw fruit tart delights with competing textures and complex tastes. Its crumbly date-almond base and creamy vanilla-cashew filling gently cradle thick slices of burgundy plums and yellow, juicy pluots. I can’t quite fathom how such simplicity of ingredients can amount to this explosive flavor.
Raw Plum Tart:
- 1/2 cup organic raw almonds
- 1/2 cup organic raw walnuts
- 3/4 cup organic raw dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons organic ground flax seeds
Cashew Cream filling:
- 1 cup organic raw cashews
- 1/2 cup nut milk (recipe here)
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar (or raw honey)
- 2 tablespoons organic unrefined coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
Seasonal Fruit of Choice:
- 8-10 plums, sliced thickly
Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with filtered water. Soak for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight. Drain and rinse the nuts, then set aside.
To make the crust, blend the almonds, walnuts, and flax seeds in a food processor. Add the dates and pulse until fully incorporated. Press the mixture evenly into a 12 inch tart mold and refrigerate.
Meanwhile, blend the drained cashews in a food processor until creamy. Add the almond milk, coconut nectar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon until the mixture is smooth, but thick. Spread the cashew cream across the surface of your tart crust and refrigerate for another 10 minutes.
Slice or arrange your preferred fruit across the surface of your tart. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Variation: Line a 12-cup muffin pan. Divide the base evenly and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of each liner. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to set. Double the cashew cream frosting and spread across each base. Add your desired toppings and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.