Pumpkin date bars, speckled with toasted nuts and trails of spicy cinnamon, are the perfect portable snack to keep you powered through the day. These chewy treats, bound together by sticky medjool dates, have found a permanent home in my purse, wrapped haphazardly in parchment paper and stowed away for secret munching.
Pumpkin Date Bars:
- 2 1/2 cups raw organic pecans or almonds
- 8-9 organic medjool dates, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic ground pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
While the oven is preheating, cover the dates in filtered water and soak for 15-30 minutes until soft. Drain and discard the water.
Spread the pecans or almonds across a lined baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Let them cool completely.
In a food processor, mix the toasted nuts, pumpkin puree, spices and salt to achieve a cookie dough consistency. Add the softened dates and pulse until fully incorporated.
Line a 9×12 baking dish with parchment paper and press the mixture evenly into the base of the pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the edges are browned. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.