This delectable breakfast bowl topped with fried banana tastes exactly like oatmeal with the added bonus of being grain-free. The secret, of course, is in the ingredients: flavors of savory cinnamon, sweet apple, and chai-spiced almond milk trick your palate so you’ll never feel deprived. The addition of unsweetened shredded coconut offers a thick texture reminiscent of porridge.
- 2 tablespoons dry-roasted almond or pecan butter
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 tablespoons chai-spiced nut milk (recipe here)
- 1/4 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic apple butter (no added sugar)
- Optional toppings: dry-roasted nuts, apple slices, shredded coconut, raw cacao chips
- 1 banana, sliced into uniform discs (conventional is fine, given the thick exterior)
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted pecans, chopped
- Sprinkle of organic ground cinnamon
- Organic unrefined coconut oil
Mix the porridge ingredients in a small bowl until fully combined. Place in a saucepan and heat over the stove, stirring consistently until the mixture thickness and achieves a desired temperature.
While the porridge is cooking, heat a few tablespoons of coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, place the slices of banana across the pan, careful not to let the pieces overlap. Sprinkle the pecans and preferred amount of cinnamon across the top of the bananas. Cook for two minutes, flipping once and adding more cinnamon as needed.
Transfer the fried banana mixture to the porridge for a decadent topping.