My mother’s homemade chicken soup has been a constant in my life, and one that I still enjoy to this day.
- 1 large organic roasting chicken, cut into parts, with excess fat removed
- 6 pounds of chicken, necks and backs only, cut into parts with skin removed
- 2 large organic yellow onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 6 medium organic carrots, cut into thirds
- 6 stalks of organic celery with attached leaves, cut into thirds
- 3 medium-size organic leeks, both white and green parts, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and sliced in half
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 1 bunch of organic thyme
- 1/2 bunch of organic parsley with stems, chopped roughly
Rinse the whole chicken and parts. Check for chicken gizzards inside the bird’s cavity and remove.
Place the rinsed chicken into a large soup pot and add the remaining ingredients. Add just enough cold water to cover the ingredients by about 1 1/2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Using a large spoon, skim off any foam that accumulates at the surface. Simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2-2 hours.
With large tongs, remove the chicken and vegetables and place in a large strainer with a large bowl below to collect additional stock. Discard the vegetables. Place the chicken in a separate bowl to cool and shred for the chicken soup.
After the stock is has cooled somewhat, strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Place the stock into smaller bowls to help with the cooling process, if necessary. If the stock is slightly warm, you may refrigerate it until the fat has solidified on the surface, then discard the fat. Be careful that the stock isn’t too warm or it could raise the temperature inside the refrigerator to an unsafe level.
The stock can be refrigerated for three days or frozen for up to 6 months.
Chicken Vegetable Soup:
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup organic celery, diced
- 1 cup organic carrots, diced
- 1 cup organic onions, diced
- 1 cup organic bell pepper, diced
- Shredded chicken from stock above
- 1/4 cup organic chopped parsley
- Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lucini extra virgin olive oil (100% pure Italian olives with no canola or vegetable additives)
Warm olive oil over medium heat and sauté the celery, carrots, bell pepper, and onions until soft, about 10 minutes.
Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large pot and add the sautéed vegetables, shredded chicken, and parsley. Season with additional salt, pepper, thyme, dill or other preferred herbs until satisfied with the taste.
Photography/Styling by Agnieszka Kazmierczak